How to Turn Your Phone into a Wi-Fi Hotspot?
Mobile phone provides a cheaper, reliable and highly portable source of Internet whether you are at home, travelling or abroad. Moreover, it allows you to connect a few other devices such as laptops, iPad or tablets; it all depends on your data plan. Turning your mobile phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot is an easy and a straight-forward activity. So, how do we go about it? Here we discuss the procedure to follow for Windows, Android, IOS and BlackBerry phones.
Turning a Windows phone into a Wireless hotspot
Windows phone have different releases e.g. Windows phone 7.5, 8 and 8.1, but the process is exactly the same. The only difference is that Windows 8.x allows you to attach up to 8 devices. To turn it on, do the following;
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on Internet Sharing.
- Flip Sharing to on.
- On the screen that follows, you will be asked to enter your preferred login credentials. You can choose to change or keep the defaults, just note your password and click done.
Now take out your tablet or laptop and connect by clicking on the SSID or Broadcast name of your hotspot and entering the password that you configured to use. Rejoice.
Creating a Wireless hotspot with an Android phone
There are multiple ways of turning an Android phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot, some includes installing some widgets from Google Play Store that claim they will enable you to create and connect to wireless networks. But follow the following procedure to set everything up on your device without having to download or install anything;
- Go to Settings and tap on ‘More’.
- Under Wireless and networks click on ‘Tethering and portable hotspot’.
- Click on ‘Set up Wi-Fi hotspot’.
- On the following screen, you will be prompted to enter a Network SSID, Security and Password. For the Network SSID you can enter your preferred name or leave the default “AndroidAp”, for the Security select the WPA2 option since it offers more security and then create a strong password that is easy for you to remember.
Note that the exact menu names may vary between different devices.
Making a Wi-Fi hotspot for IOS
For IPhone users;
- Navigate to Settings.
- Click on ‘Cellular’ option.
- Click ‘Set Up Personal Hotspot’. Enter your preferred settings.
- Now flip the ‘Personal Hotspot’ button to on.
Voila, you are ready to connect your devices.
Wi-Fi set up on BlackBerry phones
For BlackBerry users;
- From the home screen click on Manage Connections.
- Tap on ‘Set Up Wi-Fi Network’ and enter your preferred settings.
- Now select the Network and Connections.
- Tap on ‘Mobile Hotspot’ and flip the button labelled ‘Mobile Hotspot’ to on.
You are all set up and remember to turn your Wi-Fi hotspot off when not in use.
It is worth noting that some service providers may charge extra to create a hotspot and you are likely to get slow speeds depending on the strength of your data connection and number of devices that you connect since the overall bandwidth is shared among those devices. So, it is important to avoid connecting too many devices.