Wireless Charging: Now and Future
With the current technology, devices are being developed with wireless charging abilities. You might have seen a device that can charge wirelessly or even heard of wireless charging. So what exactly does it mean?
As the phrase suggests “wireless charging”, it is a way of charging your device without using a wired charger. Therefore, you will not have to carry cables and connector around. By this simple charging system, you only place your device (like a Smartphone) on the charging gadget and it is charged.
It may sound like a miracle! But it does work.
What mechanism is applied in wireless charging and how does it work?
There are many technical details behind wireless chargers. The magic perfectly works by use of copper coils. There are two coils of wire, one in the device (tablet or Smartphone) and the other in the gadget. When switched on, an alternating electric current passes via the coil in the gadget (charger), and it creates varying electromagnetic field.
When you place your device inside the charge, the electromagnetic field induces a current in the coil contained in your device. The coil then charges your device’s battery.
The mechanism is current induction.
We may be headed for a brighter future with wireless chargers! But there are always advantages and disadvantages of every new technology.
- It is a very convenient way of charging your device. You will not have to carry cables and connectors as you travel. All what you need is to place your device on the charger and it will be topped-up.
- The coils contained in the system are completely sealed. Therefore, you will not experience any electric current outflows that may cause accidents.
- Wireless charges are perfect for most devices like laptops, tablets, Smartphone’s and even huge machines like electric cars.
- This charging method is not energy efficient. A lot of heat is produced during the charging process, and this energy goes to waste.
- It takes a longer time to charge fully a device as compared to wired charging.
- If many devices are charged, a lot of heat discharged may pose problems to the environment.
Future of wireless charging
Is there any hope for the future? You may probably have such a question.
The future of this new technology is very promising. As this method of charging devices becomes popular, we may eventually discard the old ways of charging.
Though wireless charger technology is still in its infancy, some coffee chains in like Starbucks are utilizing it in some of their shops. IKEA a furniture design company has a wide range of furniture with wireless built in systems.
In the near future, there could be wireless chargers fitted into car parks to charge electric cars! This could be a dream, but with the fast changing technology, it is not impossible. Example, BMW announced that it was developing a wireless charging mechanism for its fancy i8 electric car. The system can fully charge the battery in just two hours!
We all know new technologies need proper testing and refining. Thus, you may not see any significant progress in wireless charging; however we shall eventually adopt this new technology.